Steel decks are an efficient way to create floors or ceilings – using long, ribbed steel panels (usually galvanized, to avoid any corrosion) that span between two beams. The panels are usually up to 6m long.
They often are used in a “hybrid” way, combined with a relatively concrete layer on top. The concrete then provides thermal mass and acoustic insulation – it’s just a clean, fast and efficient alternative for “normal” concrete floors.
Steel deck is a smart building system:
- faster than normal concrete slabs, as no forms are necessary
- lighter than normal concrete slabs
- can immediately take some load and provide shelter
- can be combined with other building systems
- can use concrete for thermal mass or insulation
- clean underside – some like to leave it exposed for modern interiors
Limitations of steel deck construction
- although simple, may need specialized labor
- needs other building systems for thermal mass, sound insulation, thermal insulation